1 week ago
The exams have started! Tips to help children concentrate and reduce anxiety during the forthcoming exam period.
• Good concentration levels rely on a good blood sugar balance. Eating slow release complex carbohydrates helps to achieve this balance (vegetables, oats, wholemeal bread, wholemeal pasta, brown rice) rather than fast releasing carbohydrates (white bread, biscuits, cakes, sugary cereals, crisps, sweets). Tyr to aim for 3 distinct meals a day and for any snacks in between to be healthy such as fruit/vegetables/nuts/seeds.
• Eat some protein with slow releasing carbohydrates with each meal, as this slows down the release of energy from the meal that you are consuming. This could be eggs or yoghurt for breakfast for example, nuts and seeds added to porridge or avocado and egg on wholemeal toast for lunch.
• Good concentration relies on good hydration so make sure that they are having plenty of water whilst studying and during exams if able. Aim for 1.5 litres (depending on how much sport they do) of water a day. A slice of lemon is great in water and helps alkalise the body too.
• Eat good fats – cell membranes and the brain needs them! Try to eat oily fish twice a week (salmon, sardines, anchovies, mackerel, trout, herring) and have nuts and seeds as snacks. Walnuts are particularly high in Omega 3 which is great for brain power. Olive oil and avocado’s are great too.
• Magnesium rich foods and B vitamins are good for anxiety so try to include dark green leafy vegetables (broccoli, spinach, kale, rocket), meat, eggs, nuts, seeds, beans, avocado, dark chocolate, legumes and wholegrains.
• Great concentration relies on good sleep- 8-9 hours of good quality sleep will help enormously with concentration.
• Exercise – try to do something that they enjoy each day – a fast walk with the dog in the fresh air is great too!
• Get organised! #healthyfood #stressrelief #exams #relax #rawfood #juice #healthykids #freshair #hydrate #exercise #brainhealth #yoga #healthymind #organic #mindfullness #keepcalm #breathe #vegetables #anxietyrelief #omega3 #fruit #mentalhealth #mediterraneanfood #avocado #sleep #guthealth #nutritionaltherapy