4 minutes ago
• BREATHING EXERCISE TO DESTRESS THIS HUMPDAY - OR EVERYDAY •
Here is a great breathing exercise for combatting stress!
@juliemontagu uses this exercise often throughout her day, especially when she’s cycling to and from places in the London traffic!
It can be done anywhere, anytime, even in the midst of a stressful conversation, situation or meeting.
1. As you start to inhale, breathe in through the nose for a count of four.
2. Hold the breath at the top of the lungs for one to two seconds, then exhale out of the nose for five to six seconds.
3. Visualise the breath coming in through the nose, down the throat, into the chest, around the heart and ending deep in the belly.
4. Pause and hold the breath for one to two seconds, then exhale out of the belly, up to the heart, into the chest, through the throat and out of the nose.
You needn’t do this for long periods of time to get the benefits. Even three full breaths in and out of the nose can – and will – help. If you are in the middle of something stressful, try to use this breathing technique throughout the entire situation – in the moment – until the stressful period has ended.
Not only will you find that your mind becomes clearer, and that you create more space between each thought, but also that your heart rate slows down. And I bet you’ll leave that stressful situation feeling at peace!
There is also an add-on to this exercise. It’s called visualisation – an incredibly powerful technique. When you are in the throes of stress, begin the aforementioned breathing exercise and simply visualise the way you would like to feel at that moment, be it happy, calm, loved, compassionate, empathetic, sympathetic, confident, etc.
As you visualise a calmer you, and a happier you, you will literally start to feel your body and mind moving into that mood.
Visualising will change your state – mental, physical, emotional – so that you can start feeling the good feelings you would rather have instead of the stress!