1 week ago
🌻 The 90/10 eating plan: my way of eating this summer
It is summertime!! And also the time to indulge myself with my fave food and cool drinks!🥴 😀 But that’s okay....after all, it is just once in a while, right? Well, the true is that the once in a while can easily become the 80% of the time! And then I wonder why I am not able to lose those extra pounds in spite of having more physical activity!
If this happens to you too and your goal like mine is to reach and maintain a healthy weight, overall when you are growing younger, being honest with oneself is the key to change and accept that it is NOT okay to overindulge with processed food, refined carbs, sugars and fatty meals more than what our body biochemistry can take to the point that we have to pay the consequences 80% of the time for the bad choices taken 20% of the time!
Applying the 90/10 rule, and sometimes the 80/20 rule, helps me control my indulges and maintain my healthy weight: I aim to eat whole foods 90% of the time and not so nutrient-rich foods 10% of the time. This rule is, to me, an intuitive way to wisely approach to food. By applying this rule I can still enjoy indulgences once or twice a week without feeling guilty because I am being so good eating my nutrient-rich breakfasts, lunches and dinners 5-6 days a week that the 80% easily overrides the 20%.
These are my tips to make this intuitive plan a sustainable way of eating:
1. Eat lots of fruits and vegetables in salads, fruit and green smoothies
2. Add extra dietary fiber to your meals, including all kind of seeds (chia and flax seed, nopal cactus powder)
3. Eat good quality lean protein, fish, sardine and mackerel
4. Add natural fatty acids to your meals such as avocado, ghee, hemp oil, and avoid saturate fats
5. Drink lots of pure filtered lukewarm water with fruits, no alcohol, yep, sorry!!
6. Prepare your meals over the weekend for the week ahead
7. Exercise 30 minutes a day 4 or 5 times a week to create calorie deficit
Let’s be strong and apply this rule all summer long! We deserve better than okay!!💪
PS What is your plan to enjoy summer while maintaining your healthy weight? ❤️