8 hours ago
REDUX. . The Holy Trinity Anglican Church is located in the historic community of Strathcona. . The local Anglican congregation, looking to replace their aging wood church, funded and started construction of this building in 1906. Unfortunately following some economic difficulties, work ceased in 1907 leaving behind only a completed basement. However, by 1912 enough funds had been raised to allow construction to resume. In 1913 the church finally opened in a ceremony presided over by Bishop Pinkham of Calgary. . Design work was done by local architects Arthur and Henry Whiddington. The two made use of the Gothic style, while taking heavy inspiration from traditional English layouts and designs. The most standout feature of Holy Trinity is it's extensive use of clinker brick. Clinkers are irregular and imperfect bricks caused by the baking process, which are often lumpy and display hues of reds, purples and greens. These bricks give an earthly quality to the building and helps compliment it's ornate Gothic design. The clinkers interestingly go in an ascending pattern, with very few around the base of the building, to many at the top, an effect which is most notable on it's tower. . In 1923 the congregation purchased a large organ to commemorate 46 of their members who died overseas in the First World War. Following the Second World War the congregation continued to expand, forcing the construction of two annexes. The first, a parish hall, was added in 1949, while a addition to the east was added in 1962; both are extremely sympathetic additions, nearly indistinguishable from the original building. . In May of 1982 the church was designated a Provincial Historic Resource. . Included is a period photo from 1913.