2 days ago
🇨🇦 The Amazon rainforest has been burning for 3 weeks, and the media didn’t cover it until the smoke reached the SE of Brazil. The leading cause of deforestation (around 80%) is cattle ranching with wood extraction and infrastructure (road building+urbanization) falling into the other 20% (the infrastructure caters to the other two really, because who needs infrastructure in a forest but the people taking things out of it?). The current government has made things worse with its complete disregard for environmental policies, but who’s making cattle ranchers profitable? In this supply and demand scheme, politicians are GETTING PAID to look the other way, and we MUST stop them, but who’s paying the ranchers? As sad and heartbreaking as it is, we are. We, the people who vote with our wallets and consume the items they are destroying the forest and killing the indigenous population and activists for: meat, dairy and leather. Most people (myself included) stop consuming meat easier than dairy, but forget that dairy is the next worse item to beef because they come from the same animal! I was born in the cheese-making state of Brazil, and we are known for our fresh cheeses and our mouth-watering cheese bread. Losing that part of my identity has been hard, but I had to make a choice that didn’t just affect me. My journey to mindful and sustainable eating and consumption of goods hasn’t been easy nor perfect, but I have been able to decrease my footprint. I’m here to hopefully inspire you so that we can walk this journey together, not blaming or pointing fingers at each other for what the other hasn't been able to do yet, but to educate and learn better ways to coexist with ourselves and nature. In the end, we are not fighting to save the environment or the animals in it; we are fighting to save ourselves. Earth has been here for billions of years and will continue to be, adapting and reshaping its surface as it needs to, but the real question here is if we and our children will survive it. Not in 100 years, but the next 10. We will either commit indirect mass suicide, or affect direct change today. What will you choose? 📷s: @sanofficialx. Text by me.