4 weeks ago
#EBContributor @nickrlake here again! One of the best parts about camping is eating around the campfire, but often on backpacking trips we settle for eating dehydrated meals in order to save weight. However, when camping along the Washington Coast, because the trails are often very short, bringing a few extra conveniences can go a long way towards eating like kings and queens. So with that in mind, we hauled out a dutch oven, some fresh vegetables, and a pile of lentils along with us and had a delicious lentil stew cooked over an open flame. Here’s how you can copy this meal for your next beach camping adventure:
*Be sure to chop and dice all your ingredients before you go so you can just add it to the pot--a little prep at home goes a long way at camp.
1. Cube 2 slices of thick cut bacon or pork belly and pack it in its own container. Then dice ½ onion and mince 1 garlic clove and pack this in a separate container. Next Cube 3 potatoes into ¼ inch pieces, chop 2 celery stalks, 2 carrots, and chop 1 bunch of parsley, packing them up in a third container. Combine a good amount of salt and pepper in its own container as well.
2. Next you’ll need about 2 tablespoons of olive oil (individual packets are really useful for packing in and out), 4 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar, 3-4 cups of vegetable (or chicken) stock, and ½ cup red or yellow lentils. Pack these up all separately.
3. When you get to camp and get your campfire or charcoal fire set up and hot, place the dutch oven directly on the hot coals and add the olive oil and bacon, letting the bacon brown.
4. Add onion and garlic and cook until translucent (usually a minute or two)
5. Add the lentils and stir. Then add the balsamic vinegar and deglaze the pot by scraping around the bottom.
6. Add the carrots, celery, potatoes, and stock, and simmer until the lentils and potatoes are cooked (roughly 15 minutes)
7. Season with salt and pepper, garnish with parsley and bon appetit!
What are some of your favorite camp recipes? Feel free to share in the comments! #whyihike #liveyouradventure