3 hours ago
How is climate change classist and subsequently racist?
Environmental racism: The disproportionate exposure to climate change and toxicity that people of color experience —————————————————————
1. Many of the major (and hazardous) landfills are located in poor black and latinx communities. This causes air quality, water quality etc to be poorer in poorer neighborhoods.
2. Companies exploit Native American communities for their resources, trampling over their sacred lands, displacing families who have lived in native lands for centuries and thus destroying the cultural sustainability of those indigenous people. Furthermore, treaties to protect indigenous land have not been honored.
3. Programs like one instituted in California to decrease GHG emissions have significantly increased the costs of homes and the cost of living, decreasing access to housing in inner cities and their surrounding neighborhoods.
4. Air quality in inner cities and near industrial zones tend to be less healthy and caused by wealthy white Americans, however many people living in these communities are poor and brown. Many of these people do not have the same access to health care as the wealthy people who create the air pollution. ———————
5. In areas like Puerto Rico who are still recovering from natural disasters attributed to rising sea levels from climate change do not have access to resources or money to rebuild entire communities, which can directly affect quality of life, life expectancy, and community sustainability.